ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Tuesday 30 April 2013, at 14:30

Mabilo mabilok at ictp.it
Tue Apr 23 10:40:38 CEST 2013

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2013

Tuesday,  30 April, at 14.30 hrs.

Ted Chinburg
(University of Pennsylvania)

"The higher Lehmer conjecture of F. Rodriguez Villegas"

Abstract: This talk will is about work with Ben McReynolds and  Matt
Stover on variations of the higher Lehmer conjecture of F. Rodriguez
Villegas. These conjectures concern the unit groups of  algebraic number
fields. I will make a connection between these conjectures and the
Cheeger constants of certain flat manifolds which are naturally related
to units. Cheeger constants measure the size of the minimal codimension
one submanifold which cuts the original manifold into two disjoint
pieces of equal volume.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor , ICTP Leonardo Building