2 associates' talks next week

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Jul 26 14:55:44 CEST 2012

Condensed Matter Physics Associates’ Meeting

"Tuning the transport properties of graphene through ac fields"

Speaker:  Luis FOA TORRES         (Universidad Nacional de Córdoba)

Time: 11:30 hours

Venue: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (first floor, Leonardo Building)

Date: Monday, 30 July 2012

Abstract

 The use of ac fields has reached the nanoscale, where the interplay between the quantum coherence of the electrons, inelastic effects and dynamical symmetry breaking offers fascinating opportunities for basic research and applications.  The interest on time-dependent excitations by electromagnetic fields or gate voltages has been steadily growing [1] and many captivating phenomena such as photon-assisted tunneling, coherent destruction of tunneling [2] and quantum charge pumping [3] have been unveiled.

Graphene and carbon nanotubes offer an outstanding ground for these studies [4,5,6]. Here we give a brief overview of our recent research on driven electronic transport in these materials with a focus on the effects of radiation on electronic transport properties in graphene [6], notably the emergence of dynamical band gaps. More specifically, we will try to shed light on questions such as: Is it possible to use ac fields to control the electric response (current and noise)? Could we achieve tunable band gaps in graphene through illumination with a laser of suitable wavelength and polarization?
Moreover, I will give a brief overview of other activities that we are pursuing at the National University of Córdoba.