STAT_PHYS Seminar on 3 Feb 2012

ivanisse ivanisse at ictp.it
Mon Jan 30 11:54:17 CET 2012

SPECIAL SEMINAR IN STATISTICAL PHYSICS

Friday, 3 February 2012  -   11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room - Leonardo Bldg. - 1st floor

Francesco Caltagirone (University of Rome, Sapienza)

"On the exponents of the critical slowing down in Mode Coupling Theory"

Abstract:

An important prediction of Mode-Coupling-Theory (MCT) is the
relationship between the decay exponents in the beta  regime:
Gamma2(1-a)/Gamma(1-2a) = Gamma2(1+b)/Gamma(1+2b)= lambda.  In the
original structural glass context this relationship follows from the MCT
equations that are obtained making rather uncontrolled approximations.
As a consequence, it is usually assumed that the relationship between
the exponents is correct while lambda has to be treated like a tunable
parameter. On the other hand, it is known that in some mean-field
spin-glass models the dynamics is precisely described by MCT. When we
are in the so called "schematic" case,  lambda can be computed exactly
but, again, its computation becomes difficult when we consider more
complex models including finite-dimensional ones. We have been able to
unveil the physical meaning of lambda in complete generality, relating
the dynamical parameter to the static Gibbs free energy and giving,
thus, a ``recipe'' for its computation. In this new framework we compute
the exponents a and b for some mean-field models and compare our results
with numerical simulations or, when available, exact results obtained
via purely dynamical equations.