errata corrige COND MATT Seminar on 8 February 2012

ivanisse ivanisse at ictp.it
Fri Feb 3 13:27:17 CET 2012

SPECIAL SEMINAR IN CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS

WEDNESDAY, 8 February 2012  -   16:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room - Leonardo Bldg. - 1st floor

Hemant Dixit (University of Antwerp, Belgium)

" Ab-initio electronic structure calculations of Transparent Conducting
Oxide (TCO) materials  "

Abstract:

Transparent Conducting Oxides (TCO) constitute an unique class of
materials which combine two physical properties - transparency for
visible spectrum and high electrical conductivity together. TCO's are
widely used in a variety of technological applications and are subject
of active experimental and theoretical research. Development of an
electronic structure method capable of accurately describing the key
physical properties of TCO namely - the band gap and electron effective
mass has been a subject of enduring interest.
In this talk, I will first discuss the electronic band structure of
basic TCO's calculated using density functional theory (DFT). It is
observed that although the structural parameters are correct, the DFT
band gap are severely underestimated compared to experiment. Since DFT
is a ground state theory and in principle the Kohn-Sham gaps can not be
compared with the experiment, we use the state of the art - GW
approximation technique to calculate the excited states. The
implementation of the GW approximation within ABINIT code will be
presented in brief. The modifications in the pseudopotential necessary
for accurate calculation of the self-energy within the GW approximation
is discussed with the help of a systematic study of the pseudopotentials
for ZnO. The GW results are presented for ZnO, SnO_2 and ZnX_2O_4 (X=Al,
Ga and In) spinel structure. Finally I will also discuss the electronic
band structure calculated using the computationally inexpensive
Tran-Blaha modified Becke-Johnson potential (TB-mBJ) scheme for
prototype TCO's and formation energies of native point defects in
ZnAl_2O_4 spinel structure.