Next week's seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Sep 28 11:33:23 CEST 2011

INFORMAL SEMINAR on   Statistical Physics

Friday, 7 October    -    10:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  ICTP Leonardo Building - 1st floor

Varsha BANERJEE     ( Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi )

"Scattering properties of ground states in the  3-d random-field Ising model"

Abstract

We study the ground-state (T = 0) morphologies in the d = 3 random-field Ising model (RFIM) using a computationally efficient graph-cut method. We focus on ground states which arise for disorder strengths lower or higher than the critical disorder strength at T = 0. These states consist of correlated “domains” of up and down spins which are separated by rough, fractal interfaces. They show novel scattering properties with a cusp singularity in the correlation function at short distances.