Mathematics Seminar, Thursday 27 October

math math at ictp.it
Fri Oct 21 14:22:23 CEST 2011

MATHEMATICS SEMINARS - 2011

Thursday, 27 October, at 15:00 hrs

Professor C.S. Rajan
(Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India)

"On spectrum and arithmetic: analogies, speculations and some evidence"

Abstract.
I will sketch some classical analogies between the spectrum of Laplace
type operators associated to Riemannian manifolds and the arithmetic of
varieties defined over number fields. I will speculate that the spectrum
and arithmetic should mutually determine each other, provided we deal
with `canonical objects' on both sides. Finally I will give
some evidence supporting such wild speculations. Towards the end, I
will present some results on spectral analogues of the classical
multiplicity one theorems for modular forms.

Venue: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, ICTP Leonardo Building, first floor.