Seminar postponed (Dynamical Systems Seminars, Friday 7 October)

math math at ictp.it
Fri Oct 7 10:00:45 CEST 2011

Professor Lewowicz's seminar, scheduled today at 16:30, has been postponed.

DYNAMICAL  SYSTEMS  SEMINARS  -  2011

Friday, 7 October

at 15:30 hrs.

Isaia Nisoli
(Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

"A simple approach to rigorous approximation of invariant measures"

Abstract:
Piecewise expanding maps of the interval are one of the simplest
examples of chaotic behaviour in dynamics; in 1973 Lasota and Yorke
proved that these maps admit a finite set of ergodic absolutely
continuous invariant measures.

In this joint work with Stefano Galatolo we implement a numerical
algorithm that, using a discretization of the transfer operator,
permits us to compute the invariant measure for a topologically
transitive expanding map of the interval rigorously, thanks to a
spectral stability result by Liverani.

In this seminar I want to give an overview of the tecniques and the
results we use, to show the main ideas which lie behind our work.
* * * * *

at 16:30 hrs.

Professor Jorge Lewowicz
(Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay)

"An introduction to Expansive systems"

Abstract:
Expansive systems are dynamical systems which share many of the
topological features of hyperbolic systems but can be defined and
studied in the much more general setting of metric spaces rather than
Riemannian manifolds. In this talk I will give the basic definitions and
results of the theory. Additional talks may be given over the next
couple of weeks forming an introductory mini-course on the subject.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
(ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)