SEMINAR @ SISSA, SBP, prof. E. Milotti - Nov. 30, at 16.30 hrs.

Barbara Corzani corzani at sissa.it
Tue Nov 29 08:23:26 CET 2011

STATISTICAL AND BIOLOGICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

 Prof. Edoardo Milotti

 (Dipartimento di Fisica – Università di Trieste)

Title:

“Numerical simulations of the growth of tumor spheroids”

Wednesday Nov. 30, 2011 @ 04.30 p.m.

SISSA - first floor - room 132

Abstract: At present it is still quite difficult to match the vast knowledge
on the behavior of individual tumor cells with macroscopic measurements on
clinical tumors. On the modeling side, we already know how to deal with many
molecular pathways and cellular events, using systems of differential
equations and other modeling tools, and ideally, we should be able to extend
such a mathematical description up to the level of large tumor masses. An
extended model should thus help us forecast the behavior of large tumors
from our basic knowledge of microscopic processes. Unfortunately, the
complexity of these processes makes it very difficult -- probably impossible
-- to develop comprehensive analytical models. We try to bridge the gap with
a simulation program which is based on basic biochemical and biophysical
processes -- thereby building an effective computational model -- and in
this seminar I describe its basic structure.