DP Seminar

Luca Ferialdi ferialdi at ts.infn.it
Thu May 26 11:10:21 CEST 2011

Department of Physics - Miramare - University of Trieste

Prof. Ennio Gozzi
(University of Trieste)

Wednesday 1 June 2011 - 3.00 pm
Room 204 (2nd floor LB)

Title:
THE GEOMETRY OF QUANTIZATION: 1.

Abstract:
In this seminar we will try to pedagogically review the operatorial approach to classical mechanics pioneered in the 30's by Koopman and von Neumann and its more recent
functional counterpart.
Next we shall  show that, via these tools,  quantization can be achieved by a sort of dimensional
reduction which surprisingly turns out to be  nothing else than the functional counterpart of  Geometric Quantization.

Wednesday 8 June 2011 - 3.00 pm
Room 204 (2nd floor LB)

Title:
THE GEOMETRY OF QUANTIZATION: 2.

Abstract:
In this second seminar we will show that Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics can have the same functional form with the difference given only by the form of a metric living in a super-extension of time.
These metrics are not unique but present  a 10-paramers  and a 15-parameters freedom for respectively Classical and Quantum Mechanics. The ones associated to
Quantum mechanics have clearly a dependence on the Planck constant and need a regularization.