Multimodality and Cross-modality in Art and Science

Info Point info_pt at ictp.it
Fri Jun 24 09:22:50 CEST 2011

*_Multimodality and Cross-modality in Art and Science_*

June 28, 2011 | h. 17.30 | room 128-129 //

*SISSA - *Via Bonomea, 265 -- Trieste, Italy

/_Chair: Raffaella Rumiati_/

/Angelika Lingnau/ - Center for <http://www.unitn.it/cimec> Mind/Brain
Sciences <http://www.unitn.it/cimec> -- University of Trento (I)

*"The representation of actions in the human brain"*

Humans have very high skills in understanding actions performed by
others such as waving goodbye or passing over a bottle of water,
irrespective of the precise way these actions are performed. It has been
argued that we understand actions by simulating them in our own motor
system as if we were to execute these actions ourselves, but this view
is being challenged. Here I present a series of neuroimaging experiments
that investigate how actions are represented in the human brain, to
which degree these representations rely on visual input, and how we
understand actions even if low-level visual features such as the visual
appearance of body parts are not available.

/Karmen Franinovic(/ - IAD Interaction Design <http://iad.zhdk.ch/en> --
ZHdK-Zurich University of the Arts (CH)

*"Amplifying actions: The experience of self-produced sound"*

Each our movement generates sound. Sometimes louder, sometimes quieter,
sometimes inaudible even to ourselves. As we step on the speed pedal in
the car, the roaring machine responds to our pressure; as we walk down
the street, the rhythm of our steps resonates in our body; as we
chop potatoes, the knife cuts through the vegetable to hit the cutting
board. In each of these everyday situations, we are the cause of the
sound, the reason for its sounding. We are not only listening, but
immersed in and guided by sonic responses of the world, we are ``doing
with sound".  Yet, this essential part of our everyday life has been
sparsely considered within scientific and design communities who have
preferred to study the listening subject. I introduce the enactive sound
design in order to shift the perspective from such reception-based focus
towards  the experience of  ``doing with sound". The goal is to design
sound for action by creating sonic feedback which can affect, guide and
support physical movement of the user who willingly generates that same
sound. The enactive sound design approach is directed toward challenging
the technical understanding of interaction as input triggering some form
of output and toward supporting a much more situated, direct, less
abstract and hence, highly experiential framing of the world.

/Pietro Polotti/ - Department of New Musical Technologies and
Languages-- Conservatory "G. Tartini" of Trieste (I)

*"Visual sonic enaction: Multimodality and embodiment"*

In this seminar, we focus on artistic research about sound and body,
and, more specifically, about auditory and proprioceptive aspects of our
interaction with the external world contextualized in interactive
performances and public art installations. Computationally generated
sound is employed as representation (sonification) of gesture and its
expressive contents. Sound, thus, organized according to something
external (the human gesture) and not constrained by inner musical
relationships. /Embodied/ and /enactive/ sound, where the former term
points to the (re-)gaining of body within the human-computer interaction
domain and the latter to the consideration of the intimate and
inextricable relationship between action and perception: the sound is
produced by the machine coherently controlled by the human gesture, and
it acquires function of representation and guide of the gesture itself
so to become part of the body joint mechanism.

/Federico Fontan/a - DIMI / Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory --
University of Udine

*"Enactive sound design: Movement, touch, audition"*

The use of sound as an information carrier traditionally distinguishes
the musical from the environmental component. While musical sounds are
mainly characterized in artistic and emotional sense, conversely the
environmental sounds are usually associated to activities involving
objects and contexts of the everyday experience.

At the early perception level, that is, prior to the high-level
cognitive processes of sound recognition, such two components are indeed
the same since they are physically generated by the same phenomena. To
prove this, successful simulation examples will be shown capable of
virtually reproducing musical as well as environmental sounds starting
from a unique phenomenon. Furthermore, since the same phenomena are also
at the base of the generation of vibrotactile cues that are integrated
with sound in ways to form a unitary multimodal percept, some
cross-modal experiments will be illustrated which show how sound
manipulation determines vibrotactile illusions and vice-versa.

/ ***/

/The term multimodality refers to the use of more than one single
perceptual modality for the definition of our mental representation of
the world. The modes, by means of which we communicate with the external
world, depend on our senses and, in most cases, on the information
coming from more than one mode at a time. For example, when we open a
window during a sunny day, the "image" that our cognitive system
processes is not just the result of what we see or what we hear
separately, but of what we see, what we hear, the fresh air we smell and
the heat of the sun that we perceive through the skin. The "image" in a
broad sense that we organize in our mind is the amalgam of all of these
sensations forming something organic that is more than the mere sum of
its parts. /

/By trans-modality or cross-modality, we mean those characteristics of
our perceptual and cognitive system that do not depend on a specific
modality, and regulate the functioning of two or more sensory channels.
Multimodality and trans-modality are research subjects that require a
multidisciplinary approach involving disciplines such as experimental
psychology, neurosciences, computer sciences, virtual reality
applications, human computer interaction, industrial design, cinema
theory and practice, audiovisual translation and, last but not least,
artistic research. In these two days, we will discuss these subjects
from many points of view in a multidisciplinary fashion, with a
particular focus on the relationship between the perspectives of
scientific and artistic investigation.///