avviso di seminario

Emilia Mezzetti mezzette at units.it
Thu Jun 9 16:59:33 CEST 2011

UNIVERSITA' DI TRIESTE
DIPARTIMENTO DI MATEMATICA E INFORMATICA

AVVISO DI SEMINARIO

Mercoledi' 22 giugno 2011 alle ore 15.30 si terra' il seguente seminario:

Dott. Ada Boralevi (Università di Trieste)

Titolo: Secants of Grassmannians and Lagrangian Grassmannians

Abstract:
Given a projective variety X its r-th secant
variety is defined to be the (closure of) the
union of its secant (r-1)-planes. Studying
properties of secant varieties is a longstanding
and widely studied problem. Surprisingly though
very little is known: even in the familiar case
where the variety X is a Grassmannian G(n,k) and
the property of the secant investigated is the
dimension, the classification is recent and it is
only conjectural.
In this talk I will report about the state of the
art of the conjecture and recent progress.
I will then introduce the subvarieties of G(n,k)
known as Lagrangian Grassmannians. These
parametrize dimension n isotropic subspaces of a
symplectic complex vector space of double
dimension 2n. In joint work with Jarek Buczyinski
we computed the dimensions of its 3rd and 4th
secant varieties and conjectured a classification
of all dimensions of secants to Lagrangian
Grassmannians.

Il Seminario si terra' nella Saletta Seminari del
Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica
(Edificio H2, Via Valerio 12/1, III piano).
Tutti gli interessati sono cordialmente invitati.
--
Prof. Emilia Mezzetti

Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica
Universita' di Trieste
Via Valerio 12/1
34127 Trieste, Italia

Stanza 227, II piano
e-mail: mezzette at units.it
tel. studio (+39) 040 558 2650
skype: emiliamezzetti
tel. Segreteria Dip.: (+39) 040 558 2635 oppure 2618
fax: (+39) 040 558 2636
http://www.dmi.units.it/~mezzette/