Mathematics Seminars - Friday 18 February; Friday 25 February 2011

Mabilo mabilok at ictp.it
Tue Feb 15 11:52:50 CET 2011

M A T H E M A T I C S S E M I N A R S 2011

Friday, 18 February, at 14.30 hrs.

Paul André Razafimandimby
(University of Pretoria, South Africa)

"Some mathematical problems in the dynamics of stochastic second-grade
fluids"

Abstract:
We investigate the stochastic equation for the motion of a second grade
fluid filling a bounded (or periodic) domain of R2. Global existence of
probabilistic weak solutions (and weak in the sense of partial
differential equations) is expounded. We are also able to prove the
pathwise uniqueness of solution. The two results yield the unique
existence of probabilistic strong solution. On this basis we show that
under suitable conditions on the data we can construct a sequence of
solutions of the stochastic second grade fluid that converges to the
probabilistic weak solution of the stochastic Navier-Stokes equations
when the physical parameter α tends to zero. This is a joint work with
Prof Mamadou Sango (Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics,
University of Pretoria).

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, (ICTP Leonardo Building, first level)

Friday, 25 February, at 14.30 hrs.

Dr. Andrés Pedroza
(University of Colima, Mexico)

"On the Bounded Isometry Conjecture"

Abstract:
F. Lalonde and L. Polterovich study the isometries of the group of
Hamiltonian diffeomorphisms with respect to the Hofer metric. They
defined a symplectic diffeomorphism ψ to be bounded, if the Hofer norm
of [ψ, h] remains bounded as h varies on Ham(M, ω). The set of bounded
symplectic diffeomorphisms, BI0 (M), of (M, ω) is a group that contains
all Hamiltonian diffeomorphisms.
They conjectured that these two groups are equal, Ham(M, ω) = BI0 (M, ω)
for every closed symplectic manifold. They prove this conjecture in the
case when the symplectic manifold is a product of closed surfaces of
positive genus. In this talk we give an outline of a new class of
manifolds for which bounded isometry conjecture holds.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, (ICTP Leonardo Building, first floor)