ICTP COLLOQUIUM ON 10/01/2012

Info Point info_pt at ictp.it
Wed Dec 21 10:45:56 CET 2011

*ICTP COLLOQUIUM*

*16:30, Tuesday, 10 January 2012*

*Main Lecture Hall, Leonardo Building, ICTP*

* *

* *

* *

*Professor Chris Llewellyn-Smith*

*Director of Energy Research, Oxford University***

*President SESAME Council*

* *

* *

* *

*International Scientific Collaboration*

* - benefits, challenges and opportunities*

* *

* *

The global scientific is landscape is changing rapidly. New scientific
powers are emerging, and international collaboration is growing
dramatically. In the first part of this talk I will review these changes
as a prelude to discussing attempts to harness global science to address
global problems (such as climate change, the spread of diseases, and the
loss of bio-diversity). In the second half of the talk I will review the
status of SESAME (Synchrotron-light for Experimental Science and
Applications in the Middle East) as an example of a project with the
dual aims of building scientific capacity and building bridges between
people in diverse countries through scientific collaboration. SESAME,
which is modelled on CERN, is a third generation light source under
construction in Jordan: the members are currently Bahrain, Cyprus,
Egypt, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Pakistan, the Palestinian Authority, and
Turkey.

* *

* *

--
Info Point
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
info_pt at ictp.it