Forthcoming Mathematics Seminar

math math at ictp.it
Tue Sep 14 15:12:20 CEST 2010

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2010

Wednesday, 22 September, at 14:30

V.I. Keilis-Borok (1,2), A.A. Soloviev (2)
(1)University of California, USA
(2)Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia

"Variations of trends of indicators describing complex systems: Change
of scaling precursory to extreme events"

Abstract:
Socio-economic and natural complex systems persistently generate extreme
events also known as disasters, crises, or critical transitions. Here we
analyze patterns of background activity preceding extreme events in four
complex systems: economic recessions, surges in homicides in a megacity,
magnetic storms and strong earthquakes. We use as a starting point the
indicators describing the system's behavior and identify changes in an
indicator's trend. Those changes constitute our background events (BE).
We demonstrate a premonitory pattern common to all four systems
considered: relatively large magnitude BEs become more frequent before
extreme event. A premonitory change of scaling has been found in various
models and observations. Here we demonstrate this change in scaling of
uniformly defined BEs in four real complex systems, their enormous
differences notwithstanding.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
(ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)