Math. Phys. seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon Oct 18 14:04:16 CEST 2010

MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS SECTOR SEMINARS

Speaker: Laure Gouba

National Institute for Theoretical Physics (NITheP)
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Title: Strings and Minimal areas from position-dependent noncommutativity

Abstract

A new set of noncommutative space-time commutation relations in two
space dimensions is introduced. The space-space commutation relations
are deformations of the standard flat noncommutative space-time
relations taken here to have position dependent structure constants. We
compute minimal lenghts and momenta arising in this space from
generalized versions of Heisenberg's uncertainty relations and find that
any object in this two dimensional space is string like. We demonstrate
that the position-dependent noncommutativity will give rise to deformed
oscillator algebras. In turn starting from some q-deformations of these
algebras in a two-dimensional space for which the entire deformed Fock
space can be constructed explicitely, we derive the commutation
relations for the dynamical variables in noncommutative space-time. We
compute minimal areas resulting from these relations. The size of the
region we find is determined by the noncommutative constant and the
deformation parameter q. Any object in this type of space-time structure
has to be of membrane type or in certain limits of string type.

Wednesday 27 October at 3.00 pm in lecture room 128 (I floor, Santorio
Building)