Mathematics Seminar - Monday 4 October, Trieste University

Mabilo mabilok at ictp.it
Fri Oct 1 10:40:47 CEST 2010

On Monday 4 October 2010 at 2.30 pm

Venue: Aula Seminari Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica
(University of Trieste)

the following seminar will be held:

prof. Stefano Luzzatto, ICTP

"Deciding the undecidable: probabilistic and numerical approaches to
chaotic dynamical systems"

Abstract:

Many classes of chaotic dynamical systems are now relatively well
understood and their dynamics can be described in a variety of ways.
However it is often highly non-trivial, indeed sometimes arguably
impossible, to show that a given dynamical system is chaotic. The most
we can hope for is to be able to state that a system is "approximately
chaotic" in some rigorous sense. In this talk I will discuss some recent
approaches in this direction.

All interested people are kindly invited to attend.