Joint seminar coming up

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Nov 5 11:44:06 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 9 November   -   11:30 hrs.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  ICTP Leonardo Building - 1st floor

Andre CARDOSO BARATO    ( ICTP )

"Boundary-induced nonequilibrium phase transition into an absorbing state"

Abstract

We show that absorbing phase transitions in one dimension may be induced by the dynamics of a single site.  As an example we consider a one-dimensional model of diffusing particles, where a single site at the boundary evolves according to the dynamics of a contact process. We map the one-dimensional model onto a zero-dimensional non-Markvian process, demonstrating that in nonequilibrium a phase transition can take place even in zero dimensions.