This week's seminars

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Tue May 25 15:41:01 CEST 2010

  CONDENSED MATTER AND
STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR

Wednesday, 26 May   -    4:15 p.m.

  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room -  Leonardo Bldg. - first floor

D.N. ARISTOV      ( Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute )

  "Y-junction connecting Luttinger liquids:    Fixed point structure
and conductances"

Abstract

We study the transport properties of three quantum wires (with
possibly different interaction strength), connected through a Y-
junction, within the scattering state formalism.  We first formulate
the problem in current algebra language and focus on the case of a
symmetric setup, for which the scattering matrix and the matrix of
conductances is parametrized by two variables.  For these we derive
coupled RG equations, performing a ladder summation up to infinite
order in the interaction.  The fixed point structure and the implicit
solution of these equations is presented.  We show that higher order
terms beyond the ladder approximation do not change the scaling
behavior near the fixed points.  For sufficiently strong attractive
interaction a new fixed point with unusual properties is found.

===

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 27 May   -  11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

C. SALOMON     ( Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris )

"The equation of state of strongly interacting Fermi gases"

Abstract

In this talk, we will present recent experimental work performed at
ENS on the thermodynamics of strongly interacting 6Li Fermi gases.  We
have developed a general method to probe with high precision the
thermodynamics of locally homogeneous ultracold gases [1].  This
allows stringent tests of recent many-body theories.  First, we focus
on the finite-temperature Equation of State (EoS) of the unpolarized
unitary gas.

Precise thermometry is provided by adding to the trapped 6Li unitary
gas a small amount of bosonic 7Li that is weakly perturbing the
system.  We show that the low-temperature properties of the strongly
interacting normal phase are well described by Fermi liquid theory and
we localize the superfluid phase transition.  Second, we address the
zero-temperature EoS of the spin-polarized system.  Surprisingly,
despite strong interactions, the normal polarized phase behaves as a
mixture of two ideal gases: a Fermi gas of bare majority atoms and a
non-interacting gas of dressed quasi-particles, the Fermi polarons.
Finally, we will report on the extension of our study to the BEC-BCS
crossover in the low temperature limit [2].  A detailed comparison
with theories including Monte-Carlo calculations and the Lee-Huang-
Yang corrections for low-density bosonic and fermionic superfluids is
presented.  Our equation of state can be directly used to describe low
density neutron matter such as the outer shell of neutron stars.

[1] S. Nascimbène, N. Navon, K. Jiang, F. Chevy, and C. Salomon,
Nature 463, 1057 (2010)

[2] N. Navon, S. Nascimbène, F. Chevy, and C. Salomon,  Science
Express, published on line April 15, 2010