Next Tuesday's seminar

Statphys statphys at ictp.it
Thu May 20 11:16:24 CEST 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

  Tuesday, 25 May   -   16:00 hrs.

SISSA, Santorio, Room 004 (Ground floor)

  Luca LEPORI   ( SISSA )

"(3+1) massive Dirac fermions with   ultracold atoms in optical lattice"

Abstract

I discuss a cold-atoms set-up able to simulate (3+1) Dirac fermions
and some applications, relevant both in elementary particle and in
condensed matter physics. I show in particular the possibility to add
a tunable mass by using Bragg pulses, an effective external
electromagnetic coupling and an internal interaction, also covariant.

Finally I consider the 2D limit, describing the emergence of (2+1)
Dirac fermions in presence of a strongly anisotropic lattice.