Thursday morning seminar coming up

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Mon May 3 11:43:12 CEST 2010

  SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 6 May      -  11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Matthias VOJTA      ( University of Cologne )

"Quantum-critical Kondo screening   in graphene"

Abstract

Electrons in graphene provide an essentially perfect realization of 2d
Dirac fermions. Introducing magnetic impurities then allows to study
the so-called pseudogap Kondo effect, where a vanishing host density
of states causes a quantum phase transition between phases with
screened and unscreened impurity moment.  In the talk, I will discuss
the rich Kondo physics in graphene, including orbital degrees of
freedom and quantum criticality. In particular, I will analyze the
pseudogap Kondo model in the presence of a finite chemical potential.
A striking prediction of the theory is an extreme asymmetry of
impurity properties between electron and hole doping over a wide
parameter range which can be traced back to the nature of the quantum
critical point.