Tues. seminar

Statphys statphys at ictp.it
Thu Mar 25 08:55:38 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 30 March   -   11:00 hrs.

Lecture Room D - SISSA Main Building

Saverio PASCAZIO   (University of Bari)

"Classical statistical mechanics approach to multipartite entanglements"

Abstract

Entanglement is one of the most intriguing features of quantum
mechanics.  It is widely used in quantum communication and information
processing and plays a key role in quantum computation.  At the same
time, entanglement is not fully understood.  It is deeply rooted into
the linearity of quantum theory and in the superposition principle and
(for pure states) is essentially and intuitively related to the
impossibility of factorizing the state of the total system in terms of
states of its constituents.

The characterization and quantification of entanglement is an open and
challenging problem. One can give a good definition of bipartite
entanglement in terms of the von Neumann entropy or the entanglement
of formation.  The problem of defining multipartite entanglement is
more difficult and no unique definition exists.

We characterize the multipartite entanglement of a system of  n
qubits in terms of the distribution function of the bipartite purity
over balanced bipartitions.  We search for maximally multipartite
entangled states, whose average purity is minimal, and recast this
optimization problem into a problem of statistical mechanics, by
introducing a cost function, a fictitious temperature and a partition
function.  By investigating the high-temperature expansion, we obtain
the first three moments of the distribution.  We find that the problem
exhibits frustration.

We focus on fundamental issues and possible applications.