Wed. joint seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Mar 18 10:31:45 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA CONDENSED MATTER SEMINAR

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room -   ICTP Leonardo Building   (first floor)

Wednesday, 24 March -     4:00 p.m.

Michiel SPRIK  ( University of Cambridge )

"Aligning energy levels at the  TiO2 -water interface

Abstract

When solids come in contact with water the band states in the solid
shift energy position.  For metal oxides this shift is moreover pH
dependent as a result of protonation or deprotonation of hydroxyl and
water molecules adsorbed on the surface.  These surface potentials
determine the relative position of the electronic states of the solid
with respect to states of molecules or ions in solution.  This so-
called band alignment problem is therefore crucial for the
understanding of the redox properties of the interface.  In this talk
we discuss our density functional theory based molecular dynamics
approach to this problem using the application to the rutile TiO2
(110) water interface and the aqueous hydroxide anion as example. The
idea is to refer ionization potentials and electron affinities to the
solvation free energy of the proton in the same supercell establishing
an effective computational normal hydrogen electrode.  The solvation
free energy of the proton is computed using a recently developed
method for reversible proton insertion.