23/3 seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Mar 17 10:20:29 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 23 March   -   11:00 hrs.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room - ICTP Leonardo Building - 1st floor

  Daniel NAGAJ     (Institute of Physics, Bratislava)

"Local Hamiltonians in quantum computation"

  Abstract

This talk is about two Hamiltonian Complexity questions.  First, how
hard is it to compute the ground state properties of quantum systems
with local Hamiltonians (and will it be also hard to do on a quantum
computer)?

Second, which spin systems with time-independent (and perhaps,
translationally-invariant) local interactions could be used for
universal computation (to build a computer)?

I aim at a participant without previous understanding of complexity
theory, and will discuss two locally-constrained quantum problems: k-
local Hamiltonian and quantum k-SAT.  Learning the techniques of
Kitaev and others along the way, the first message of the talk is the
understanding of QMA-completeness of these problems.  As a second
topic, we will look at new universal constructions with a connection
to Adiabatic Quantum Computing.