Thurs. seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Mar 8 15:45:14 CET 2010

SEMINAR on  Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 11 March      -  11:00 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Jerome DUBAIL    ( IPhT, CEA - Saclay )

"Conformal loop models and beyond"

Abstract

Conformal field theory has been very successful in describing the low-
energy properties of 2D statistical systems at their critical points.
Among the most beautiful results in that field is the description of
geometrical properties at criticality. A famous example of this is the
exact determination of the fractal dimension of magnetisation domains
in the Ising model.  Beyond the field theory toolbox, a mathematically
rigorous description of such objects has been introduced in 2000: the
Schramm-Loewner Evolution (SLE).

In my talk I will give a simple introduction to these concepts in the
context of loop models, which are a 2D version of the spin O(n) model
in higher dimension.  I will focus on the surface critical behaviour
of these models and the link with the SLE approach.  After that I will
quickly present some recent results about the domain-walls in the
Potts model, which are no longer loops but critically branching curves.