SP forthcoming seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Jan 27 08:50:37 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 2 February   -   11:00 hrs.

Lecture Room D - SISSA Main Building

Spyros SOTIRIADIS   (S.I.S.S.A.)

"Quantum quenches in interacting theories"

Abstract

The time evolution following a quantum quench, i.e. an instantaneous
change in the parameters of an isolated quantum system, has been shown
to lead, in a wide range of models and under quite general conditions,
to stationary behaviour with some thermal characteristics.  After a
review of free field theory results that introduces necessary new
concepts and tools, we investigate a quantum quench in the phi^4 model
in a self-consistent approximation.  A direct application of
perturbation theory is not suitable in this case and resummation of
Feynman diagrams is needed.  We propose an ansatz for the long time
behaviour of the system, which we verify by a self-consistency
calculation and numerical integration of the equations of motion.