Stat.Phys. informal seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Jan 15 11:40:18 CET 2010

INFORMAL SEMINAR on
Statistical Physics

Seminar Room -  Leonardo Building  (first floor)

Thursday, 21 January -     11:00 a.m.

Sahand Jamal RAHI   ( Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge )

"Scattering theory approach to electrodynamic Casimir interactions"

Abstract

We have derived methods for calculating the Casimir force to arbitrary
accuracy, for any number of objects, arbitrary shapes, susceptibility
functions, and separations.  The technique is applicable to objects
immersed in media other than vacuum, nonzero temperatures, and spatial
arrangements in which one object is enclosed in another.  The method
combines each object's classical electromagnetic scattering amplitude
with universal translation matrices, which convert between the bases
used to calculate scattering for each object, but are otherwise
independent of the details of the individual objects.  We have
explored various novel geometries using these techniques, including
objects interacting with cavities and objects with sharp edges.

The method is further used to examine whether fluctuation-induced
forces can lead to stable levitation. Neglecting permeabilities, we
find that any equilibrium position of items subject to such forces is
also unstable if the permittivities of all objects are higher or lower
than that of the enveloping medium; the former being the generic case
for ordinary materials in vacuum. Thus, the Casimir force cannot
produce stable equilibria in vacuum for ordinary materials.