Forthcoming Class on Linear Algebraic Groups

Igor Mencattini igorre at sissa.it
Mon Feb 22 16:52:07 CET 2010

Dear All,

On Wednesday 24 of February, I will start a class about Linear Algebraic
Groups.

The schedule of the class will be:

Tuesday,   14-15:30 Room D
Wednesday, 11-12:30 Room D

The following is a (tentative) list of topics I am planning to discuss:

-General properties of the Linear Algebraic Groups
-Unipotent and diagonalizable groups
-Solvable groups and Quotients
-Bruhat lemma and (some of) its consequences
-Reductive and semisimple groups
-Regular and subregular elements
-The variety of Borel subgroups and the variety of unipotent elements.

The main reference will be the book of James Humphreys:

``Linear Algebraic Groups''

Graduate Texts in Mathematics, No. 21. Springer-Verlag, New
York-Heidelberg, 1975

The first lecture will be on Wednesday 24th of February, at 11
in Room D.

Best regards,

igor