JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR: "Explosive Percolation"

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Feb 17 16:38:39 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 23 February 2010   -   11:00 hrs

Euler Lecture Hall - ICTP Leonardo Building

(terrace level)

Arnab CHATTERJEE

(ICTP)

"Explosive Percolation"

Abstract

A biased link occupation rule discourages the growth of large clusters
much ahead of others and encourages faster growth of clusters which
lag behind. The resulting percolation transition, proposed recently,
is discontinuous, and referred to as 'Explosive percolation'. We will
discuss the results on a variety of graphs. We also introduce a new
model with a single parameter alpha, and show that the transition is
discontinuous for alpha < alpha_c and continuous above. Our model
might help in understanding the mechanism for this novel transition.

ooooooooooooo ----- ooooooooooooo

Ms. M. Poropat
Secretary
Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
The Abdus Salam International
   Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste