Thursday's seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Feb 1 13:44:28 CET 2010

SEMINAR on Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 4 February      -  11:00 a.m.

  Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Alexei ANDREANOV   ( I.C.T.P. )

"Spin glass transition in geometrically frustrated antiferromagnets
with weak disorder"

Abstract

We study the effect in geometrically frustrated antiferromagnets of
weak, random variations in the strength of exchange interactions.
Without disorder the simplest classical models for these systems have
macroscopically degenerate ground states, and this degeneracy may
prevent ordering at any temperature. Weak exchange randomness favours
a small subset of these ground states and induces a spin-glass
transition at an ordering temperature determined by the amplitude of
modulations in interaction strength. We use the replica approach to
formulate a theory for this transition, showing that it falls into the
same universality class as conventional spin-glass transitions. In
addition, we show that a model with a low concentration of defect
bonds can be mapped onto a system of randomly located pseudospins that
have dipolar effective interactions.  We also present detailed results
from Monte Carlo simulations of the classical Heisenberg
antiferromagnet on the pyrochlore lattice with weak randomness in
nearest neighbour exchange