Seminar on Thurs. 16 December

Joint ICTP-IAEA School of Nuclear Knowledge Management smr2261 at ictp.it
Mon Dec 13 11:02:33 CET 2010

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

SEMINAR on
Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 16 December   -  11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Barbara CAPOGROSSO-SANSONE  ( Harvard )

"Solids, supersolids, and pairing with dipolar bosons in optical lattices"

Abstract:

We discuss dipolar bosons trapped in single layer and multilayer optical
lattices and study quantum phases stabilized by the long range dipolar
interaction.  Such systems can be realized experimentally by ultracold
samples of polar molecules.  We have observed solid, supersolid and
pairing phases.  The latter can be stabilized in the presence of a
mixture of atoms and polar molecules, and in multilayered systems.  Our
results are based on quantum Monte Carlo simulations and are exact in a
statistical sense.