Seminar on Tues., 14 December

ivanisse ivanisse at ictp.it
Fri Dec 10 11:39:30 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 14 December    -    11:00 a.m.

SISSA, Santorio Building, Room 129 (1st Floor)

Pasquale CALABRESE (Universita' di Pisa)

"Unusual Corrections to Scaling in Entanglement Entropy"

Abstract

The study of the entanglement properties of the ground-state of an
extended quantum system has prompted an intense research activity at the
crossroad of different disciplines such as statistical mechanics,
quantum information, and quantum filed theory.  Quantifying the
entanglement allowed an elegant and finer characterization of many
extended quantum systems.
In this talk, after reviewing the results for one-dimensional systems at
a quantum critical point that are described by a conformal invariant
field theory, I will consider the corrections to the asymptotic
behavior.  I will show that leading corrections are unusual, in the
sense that they depend (in a calculable way) on the entanglement measure
and they arise from relevant operators induced by the conical space-time
singularities necessary to describe the reduced density matrix.