Thurs. seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Apr 26 16:08:32 CEST 2010

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 29 April      -  11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Igor LUK'YANCHUK       ( University of Picardy, Amiens )

"Polarization switching in nano-scale electronics: Ginzburg-Landau
modelling approach"

Abstract

The spontaneous polarization in ferroelectric materials could be
expected to be completely destabilized by the backward depolarizing
electrostatic field produced by the charge rho=div P of the
polarization surface breakdown.  This apparent paradox is avoided by
the segregation of the sample into polarized domains with different
orientation of polarization, as was initially proposed by Landau and
Kittel . This alternates the surface charge and diminishes the bulk
depolarizing field.

To model the polarization texture in realistic samples of size of
50-500nm we use an analytical approach solving the nonlinear Ginzburg-
Landau equations coupled with the electrostatic equations. By
variation of the external field we study the dynamics of polarization
switching.  The description of the formation of domains, vortices,
skyrmions, etc. recently seen in experiment and in first-principle
modeling is possible.  Introducing Landau-Khalatnikov dynamics we
study the formation and evolution of such topological textures and
their role in polarization switching.