Seminar of the Department of Physics

marzolino at ts.infn.it marzolino at ts.infn.it
Tue Apr 6 09:16:54 CEST 2010

Dear professors, researchers and students

I would like to announce the seminar held by Dr. Raffaele Romano on
Thursday, 8 April, at 3pm in Room 204 of the Department of Physics
(Leonardo Building).
Everyone who is interested is welcome.

TITLE:
Adaptive error correction of noisy quantum channels

ABSTRACT:
Reliable transmission of quantum states through noisy quantum
channels is a fundamental ingredient in quantum information and
computation. For practical implementations, it is important to reduce as
much as possible the additional resources needed to counteract
decoherence. In this framework, we present a mathematical formalism to
deal with the control of a noisy channel, and, as an application, we prove
that the resources of quantum teleportation (maximal entanglement shared
between sender and receiver, and classical communication) are necessary
for perfect transmission through noisy channels of maximal rank, if a
single use of the channel is admitted. Some partial results concerning the
general case of channels with arbitrary rank are presented, and their
relation with the problem of entanglement distillation are discussed.

Best regards,
Ugo Marzolino.

believed to be clean.