Thursday's seminar

CM cm at ictp.it
Mon Sep 28 14:48:42 CEST 2009

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 1 October      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Alessandro SILVA     ( The Abdus Salam ICTP )

"Universal physics in quantum nonequilibrium processes: Quantum
quenches, work statistics and edge singularities"

Abstract

A quantum quench is a rapid change in time of a control parameter in
the Hamiltonian describing a quantum, correlated many-body system.
The physics of this paradigmatic non-equilibrium process, which has
been realized recently in the context of cold atoms, is of particular
interest in quantum critical systems where concrete dynamical
manifestations of universality can be studied.  In this talk I will
discuss two fundamental ways to characterize these processes, by
either looking at the statistics of basic thermodynamic variables or
at the asymptotics of correlators.  I will first elucidate the
connection between a classic problem in condensed matter physics, the
Fermi edge singularity, the statistics of the work done in a quantum
quench, and quantum Jarzynski equalities.  Using this connection, I
will discuss results for the statistics of the work in a variety of
systems, such as the quantum Ising chain, the Dicke model and quantum
impurities.  I will show that quantum criticality manifests itself in
the emergence of interesting edge singularities in the statistics of
the work and discuss their universality.  Similarly, I will discuss
how the critical properties are encoded in the asymptotics of non-
equilibrium correlators.