SISSA COLLOQUIUM

Alex Meehan alex at sissa.it
Wed Sep 23 08:55:06 CEST 2009

SISSA COLLOQUIUM

September 24, 16:30 - Lecture Room D, SISSA main building

The seminar will be preceded by a get-together at 4.10pm in front of
room D for tea and coffee.

Dr. Silvia Onesti

Elettra and Statistical and Biological Physics Sector, SISSA

Title:
Perpetuating the double helix: molecular engines on the DNA

Abstract:
Coded in the structure of DNA is a biological message that can be
stored, transferred, read and interpreted. Before each cell division,
the entire DNA needs to be accurately replicated to ensure that each
daughter cell contains an undamaged copy of the original molecule. The
regulation of this process is particularly tricky for the more complex
eukaryotic cells (including humans), due to the larger amount of genetic
information.
One of the most important proteins in this process is the MCM helicase.
We use a combination of X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy
techniques to unravel the atomic structure and the mechanism of action
of the MCM helicases. We can  visualise this molecular machine as a
combustion engine that is able to harness the energy from ATP to unzip
the DNA double helix.
The control of DNA replication is not only a fundamental biological
problem, but has important medical consequences. Most cells in our body
are in a quiescent state: triggering DNA replication in adults is often
connected with unwanted proliferation (a hallmark of cancer). MCM
helicases are only present in replicating cells, and can therefore be
used as tumor markers and possible drug targets for cancer.