Seminar

Rosita Glavina rosita.glavina at ts.infn.it
Wed Oct 14 16:35:31 CEST 2009

  Department of Physics
Informal Seminar

Monday 19 October 2009 - 11.00 a.m.
Room 204 (LB - 2nd floor)

Raffaele ROMANO
(Max Plack Institute for the Science of Light,
Institute of Optics, Information and Photonics,
University of Erlangen-Nurnberg, Germany)

QUANTUM CONTROL OF NOISY CHANNELS

Abstract
It is known that quantum systems could in principle be employed
to outperform classical devices when manipulating or transmitting
information. However, there is a big gap between the theoretical
investigations and  their practical implementations, which are
notoriously difficult. From this  point of view, in order to accomplish
a specific task, an optimal use of the available resources is fundamental.
In this seminar, I present some preliminary results regarding
the transmission of quantum states  through a noisy channel;
in particular, I introduce a formalism that describes how the
resources available to a sender and a receiver can be used
to manipulate noisy channels. As an application, I prove that
the resources of Quantum Teleportation are necessary and sufficient
for faithful and  deterministic trasmission of quantum states
through an arbitrary quantum channel.