Thursday's seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Nov 23 15:00:37 CET 2009

SEMINAR on    Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 26 November      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Alessio RECATI     ( Universita' di Trento )

  " Unbalanced strongly interacting Fermi gas "

Abstract

We study the zero temperature properties of a trapped polarized Fermi
gas at unitarity by assuming phase separation between an unpolarized
superfluid and a polarized normal phase. The effects of the
interaction are accounted for using the formalism of quasiparticles to
build up the equation of state of the normal phase. Our predictions
for the Chandrasekhar-Clogston limit of critical polarization and for
the density profiles, including the density jump at the interface, are
confirmed with excellent accuracy by the recent experimental results.
The role of interaction on the radial width of the minority component,
on the gap of spectral functions, and on the spin oscillations in the
normal phase is also discussed. Our analysis points out the Fermi
liquid nature of these strongly interacting spin-polarized
configurations.