prof. Todorov's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon Nov 9 10:38:47 CET 2009

MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS SECTOR SEMINARS

Ivan T. TODOROV

INRNE, Sofia

Trying to understand 'why the SM?'

Wed. 18 Nov. 2009, 14:30
Room D, SISSA Main Building

Abstract:
The quantum numbers of the basic fermions in the standard model look
less queer if we consider either of the "Grand Unification chains"
G:=S(U(2)xU(3)) --> SU(5) --> Spin(10),
or G --> Spin(4)xSpin(6) --> Spin(10);
moreover, G is just the intersection of the Georgi-Glashow SU(5)
and the Pati-Salam Spin(4)xSpin(6) = SU(2)xSU(2)xSU(4) within
Spin(10) (see [BH]). The GUTs (in particular, Spin(10)), however,
are plagued by a plethora of Higgs fields. The noncommutative
geometry approach of Chamseddine-Connes [CC], on the other hand,
yields the same fermion multiplet (and the standard model action
coupled to gravity) with no additional Higgs'es. We observe that the
intermediate algebra of Connes, H + H + M(4, C) (where H is the
quaternion algebra and M(4, C) stands for the complex 4x4 matrices)
appears as an associative extension of the Pati-Salam Lie algebra
su(2) + su(2) + su(4) involved in the second GUT chain above.

[BH] J. Baez, J. Huerta, 0904.1556 [hep-th];
[CC] A. Chamseddine, A. Connes, 0706.3688, 3690; A. Chamseddine,
0901.0577 [hep-th].

--
Dr. Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth
Secretary of Mathematical Physics and Elementary Particle sectors
emanuele.tuillier at sissa.it