Beginning of new series of seminars.

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Nov 4 13:30:58 CET 2009

JOURNAL CLUB SEMINAR

on

Disorder and strong electron correlations

Friday, 6 November   -    11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Markus MÜLLER ( I.C.T.P. )

"Purely electronic transport in strongly disordered, but nearly
superconducting insulators"

Abstract

Certain strongly disordered superconducting films, when driven
insulating by reducing thickness or by a small perpendicular magnetic
field, are believed to maintain a strong pairing of electrons into
localized Cooper pairs, the phase transition to an insulator merely
signaling the loss of phase coherence across the sample.  The ensuing
bosonic insulator has a variety of very peculiar properties:
empirically, it is found to exhibit a simply activated resistance of
purely electronic nature.

I will analyze the new question of the spectral properties of the
disordered interacting system across the phase transition in the light
of the phenomenon of localization in Fock space. This analysis leads
to a possible explanation of the above-mentioned properties in terms
of localized Cooper pairs which couple only very weakly to phonons.
Open and controversial issues will be discussed.