Thursday's seminar

CM cm at ictp.it
Mon May 25 11:49:18 CEST 2009

SEMINAR on    Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 28 May      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

F. FRANCHINI    ( The Abdus Salam ICTP )

"Nonlinear dynamics of spin and charge in spin-Calogero model"

Abstract

The fully nonlinear dynamics of spin and charge in spin-Calogero model
is studied.  The latter is an integrable one-dimensional model of
quantum spin-1/2 particles interacting through inverse-square
interaction and exchange.  Classical hydrodynamic equations of motion
are written for this model in the regime where gradient corrections to
the exact hydrodynamic formulation of the theory may be neglected.  In
this approximation variables separate in terms of dressed Fermi momenta
of the model.   Hydrodynamic equations reduce to a set of decoupled
Riemann-Hopf (or inviscid Burgers') equations for the dressed Fermi
momenta.  We study the dynamics of some non-equilibrium spin-charge
configurations for times smaller than the time-scale of the gradient
catastrophe.  We find an interesting interplay between spin and charge
degrees of freedom.  In the limit of large coupling constant the
hydrodynamics reduces to the spin hydrodynamics of the Haldane-Shastry
model.