Three forthcoming Math Seminars (Dynamical Systems) - Friday 22 May

math math at ictp.it
Mon May 18 14:03:51 CEST 2009

MATHEMATICS SEMINARS 2009/DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS

Friday, 22 May
10.15-11.00

Professor Jorge Lewowicz
(Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay)

"Expansive Systems"

***

Friday, 22 May
11.15-12.00

Professor Carlangelo Liverani
(Universita' di Tor Vergata, Roma)

"Elliptic Islands in a chaotic sea"

Abstract:
I will describe a family of maps of the torus that, starting from
Anosov, reaches the boundary of hyperbolicity and crosses into the
elliptic region at a point.
Although the systems is unrealistically simple, it exhibits considerable
complexity and is a good test for any approach to the study of systems
at the boundary of hyperbolicity.

***

Friday, 22 May
12.15-13.00

Professor Jose L. Vieitez
(Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay)

"$C^1$-Robustly expansive homoclinic classes are generically hyperbolic"

Abstract:
Let f : M \to M be a diffeomorphism defined in a d-dimensional compact
boundary-less manifold M. We prove that generically C1-robustlyexpansive
homoclinic classes H(p), p an f-hyperbolic periodic point, are hyperbolic.

Venue: ICTP, Leonardo Building, Seminar Room