JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR: "Effective thermal dynamics,following a quantum quench in a spin chain"

statphys statphys at ictp.it
Thu May 14 09:03:26 CEST 2009

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 19 May 2009   -    12:30 hrs

Lecture Room D
SISSA Main Building

Davide ROSSINI
(S.I.S.S.A. - Trieste)

"Effective thermal dynamics
following a quantum quench in a spin chain"

Abstract
Recent experiments with ultracold atomic gases have triggered a great
deal of interest in some fundamental aspects of the non-equilibrium
dynamics of strongly correlated quantum systems. In particular, they
raised an intense discussion on the general relation between system
integrability and thermalization in the long-time dynamics of such systems.

Instead of focusing on the asymptotic values of significant observables,
we take a rather different perspective and study the dependence of the
intrinsic dynamical time-scale on the initial state. We do this by
considering the quantum Ising chain: we drive it out-of-equilibrium by
abruptly quenching the transverse field. We focus on the onsite
autocorrelation function of the order parameter, extracting the phase
coherence time from its asymptotic decay. This phase coherence time is
shown to be determined only by the final Hamiltonian gap, and an
effective temperature which depends on the energy of the initial state
after the quench. Moreover, the dependence of the coherence time on the
effective temperature fairly agrees with that obtained in thermal
equilibrium as a function of the equilibrium temperature. These results
pertain to the Ising universality class, while the integrability of the
model seems not to be crucial.