JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR: "Collective modes of trapped Fermi gases with in-medium interaction"

statphys statphys at ictp.it
Thu May 7 10:13:01 CEST 2009

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 12 May 2009   -    12:30 hrs

Seminar Room
ICTP Leonardo Building - 1st floor

Silvia CHIACCHIERA

(Universidade de Coimbra)

"Collective modes of trapped Fermi gases
with in-medium interaction"

Abstract

Due to the Pauli blocking of the intermediate states, the scattering
matrix (or T matrix) of two fermionic atoms in a Fermi gas becomes
different from that of two atoms in free space. We calculate  the
in-medium T matrix in ladder approximation and study its effects on the
properties of the collective modes of a trapped gas in the normal-fluid
phase. We introduce the in-medium interaction on both sides of the
Boltzmann equation, namely in the calculation of the mean field and in
the calculation of the collision rate. This allows us to explain the
observed upward shift of the frequency of the quadrupole mode in the
collisionless regime. By including the mean field, we also improve
considerably the agreement with the measured temperature dependence of
frequency and damping rate of the scissors mode, whereas the use of the
in-medium cross section deteriorates the description, in agreement with
previous work.