Tomorrow's Special seminar

CM cm at ictp.it
Tue May 5 11:09:22 CEST 2009

CONDENSED MATTER AND
STATISTICAL PHYSICS

SPECIAL SEMINAR

Wednesday, 6 May   -    4:30 p.m.

Seminar Room -  Leonardo Bldg. - first floor

Gernot AKEMANN    (Brunel University, Uxbridge)

"Random matrix theory and its applications to the strong interactions"

Abstract

In this talk I review how the concept of Random Matrix Theory (RMT) is
used as an effective field theory of the theory of strong interactions
in Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD).  I begin by stating the approximations
made that map QCD to a sigma model - the theory of Goldstone modes - and
ultimately to a RMT formulation. Various correlation functions in the
relevant symmetry class can be computed either from the sigma model or
RMT, and then compared to numerical solutions of QCD in that limiting
regime.  Recent developments include non-Hermitian RMT and complex
eigenvalue spectra of the QCD Dirac operator.