Thursday's seminar

CM cm at ictp.it
Tue Mar 31 14:27:04 CEST 2009

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

SEMINAR on    Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 2 April-  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Robert S. WHITNEY    (Institut Laue-Langevin, Grenoble)

"Symmetry causes a huge conductance peak    in double quantum dots"

Abstract

We predict a huge interference effect contributing to the conductance
through large ultra-clean quantum dots of chaotic shape. When a
double-dot structure is made such that the dots are the mirror-image of
each other, constructive interference can make a tunnel barrier located
on the symmetry axis effectively transparent. We show (via theoretical
analysis and numerical simulation) that this effect can be orders of
magnitude larger than the well-known universal conductance fluctuations
and weak-localization (both less than a conductance quantum). A small
magnetic field destroys the effect, massively reducing the double-dot
conductance; thus a magnetic field detector is obtained, with a similar
sensitivity to a SQUID, but requiring no superconductors.

[Robert S. Whitney, P. Marconcini, M. Macucci, to appear in Phys. Rev.
Lett. (2009) arXiv:0902.3099]