Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - next week

Math math at ictp.it
Tue Mar 17 10:47:45 CET 2009

MATHEMATICS SEMINARS 2009

"Standing waves in nonlinear Schroedinger equations"

Dr. Stefan Le Coz
SISSA

Tuesday 24 March at 14:00
Seminar Room

Abstract :

The nonlinear Schroedinger equation appears in several physical or
biological models and enjoys various interesting mathematicals
properties. In particular, this equation admits standing waves, i.e.
solutions whose profile remains unchanged under the evolution in time.
For the physical applications, it is essential to know the stability
properties of waves with respect to perturbations. It is also
important to understand the nature of any potential instability.

The talk will start by a review of classical results on nonlinear
Schroedinger equations and their standing waves. Then we will discuss
stability and instability issues. Finally, we will present recent
stability/instability results on a nonlinear Schroedinger equation
perturbed by a Dirac potential.