JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR : "Dynamical processes on scale-free networks: a mean field approach"

statphys statphys at ictp.it
Wed Jun 10 16:01:49 CEST 2009

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 16 June 2009   -    12:30 hrs

Lecture Room D
SISSA Main Building

Fabio CACCIOLI
(S.I.S.S.A. - Trieste)

"Dynamical processes on scale-free networks:
a mean field approach"

Abstract

We consider  dynamical processes on scale-free networks. We introduce an
approach allowing to derive Langevin equations for mean field order
parameters that implicitly account for degree heterogeneity. In
particular we focus on branching-annihilating random walks and we show
that the critical properties of such systems explicitly depend on the
parameter characterizing the degree distribution. We also discuss the
role of noise for finite systems, showing how heterogeneous topologies
can strongly affect single realizations of the dynamical processes.