SISSA Colloquium

Alex Meehan alex at sissa.it
Tue Jun 9 11:06:09 CEST 2009

SISSA COLLOQUIUM

Thursday, 11 June 2009, 16.30 - Lecture Room D, SISSA Main Building

Speaker:  Prof. Stefano Liberati (Astrophysics Sector, SISSA)

Title: Black holes and the substance of the spacetime river

Abstract: In this talk a review of the physical properties and
phenomenology of black holes will be presented.  After a brief
historical presentation of the subject, we shall explore the dazzling
features of these objects and their prominent role both in astrophysics
andj in gravitation theory. In particular we shall see how black holes
have played, and still play, a crucial role in the progressive discovery
of the most fundamental features of spacetime and which sort of new
paradigm they seem to inspire nowadays.

The seminar will be preceded by a get-together at 16.10 in front of room
D for tea and coffee