JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR: " Three body physics with ultracold atoms: the Efimov effect and P-wave Feshbach resonances for spin polarized fermions "

Statistical Physics Group statphys at ictp.it
Thu Jan 29 15:01:42 CET 2009

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 3 February 2009   -    12:30 hrs

Lecture Room D

SISSA Main Building

Mattia JONA-LASINIO

( LENS, Italy )

" Three body physics with ultracold atoms: the Efimov effect and P-
wave Feshbach resonances for spin polarized fermions "

Abstract

In the first part of the talk I will very briefly review the basic
facts about scattering theory in the S-wave and P-wave channel. I
will introduce the notions needed to describe low energy collisions
in ultracold atoms: scattering amplitude, scattering length,
scattering volume, true range and effective range of the interaction.
I will then review the Efimov effect for a bosonic system.

The main part of the talk will be devoted to the three-body problem
for polarized fermions, close to a P-wave Feshbach resonance. I will
present a two channel model useful to describe the P-wave
interaction. Through numerical and analytical solutions of the model,
I obtain predictions for all the physical quantities relevant for
present experiments: low energy elastic and inelastic scattering
properties, existence and lifetime of weakly bound trimers, atom loss
rate through the three-body recombination mechanism. The model also
excludes the presence of an Efimov effect in the P-wave channel.

Applications and future developments will conclude the talk.