JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR: "Effective surface tension and coarsening in models driven by interfacial noise"

Statistical Physics Group STATPHYS at ictp.it
Thu Jan 22 10:09:19 CET 2009

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 27 January 2009   -    12:30 hrs

Seminar Room

ICTP Leonardo Building - 1st floor

Luca DALL'ASTA

( ICTP, Trieste, Italy )

" Effective surface tension and coarsening in models driven by
interfacial noise "

  															Abstract

I review domain coarsening phenomena in the non-equilibrium dynamics
of discrete spin models with Z_2 symmetry. Standard classifications
distinguish between "curvature-driven" processes, in which the
interface motion is driven by surface tension (e.g. Glauber
dynamics), and purely diffusive processes driven by multiplicative
noise at the interfaces (e.g. Voter model). There are evidences that
slight changes of the microscopic Voter-like rule (e.g. adding
intermediate states) leads to the emergence of an effective surface
tension. We explain this phenomenon deriving a macroscopic Langevin
equation for these processes and studying it with field-theoretic and
numerical methods.

Rosa del Rio (Ms.)
Secretary
Statistical Physics Group
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11- 34014 Trieste (Italy)
Leonardo da Vinci Blg room 231
phone: +39-040-2240396
fax: +39-040-22407396